- We are closed from 5pm on Fri 23rd until 9am Weds 28th
- Normal opening times (9-6pm Weds/Thurs/Fri) including 9am to 11am Saturday 31st, with the surgery then closed until 9am Tuesday 3rd Jan
Top tips for keeping your pets safe during the festive season
We had a case recently where one of our clients had hidden their Hunter’s cake in the pantry, but their dog found it and ate it and ended up at Melton Vets on a drip. We thought we would make you aware of other christmas dangers.
Firstly, please make sure your pets AVOID the following holiday food items:
Alcoholic beverages as well as alcoholic chocolates and cake
Chocolate (dark or cocoa powder in small quantities, semi-sweet, milk chocolate in large quantities)
Coffee (grounds, beans, chocolate covered espresso beans)
Mouldy or spoiled foods
Grape, raisins and sultanas, including those in fruitcakes and Hunter’s cakes!
The artificial sweetener Xylitol that is found in many sweets and some biscuits.
Hazards around the christmas tree
Christmas tree water often contains fertilizers, that, if ingested can cause stomach upsets. Stagnant tree water can have an extremely high bacterial content, which can cause vomiting, nausea and diarrhoea if ingested.
Electric cords should be hidden or covered safely. If they were chewed, they could electrocute your pet – especially important for house rabbits.
Ribbons or tinsel can get stuck in the intestines of dogs and cats and cause intestinal obstruction if ingested.
Batteries contain corrosives. If ingested they can cause serious ulceration to the mouth, tongue and intestines.
Glass ornaments can cut the tissues of the gastrointestinal tract if ingested.
Remember that a dog’s nose is 1000 times more sensitive than our noses.
Don’t assume that as that chocolate gift under the tree is in a tin and wrapped, that your greedy dog may not find it – we have seen dogs eat entire boxes of wrapped chocolates left under a tree!
WE WISH ALL OUR CLIENTS A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!
As we have Easter and all its chocolate coming up, we want to make our clients aware of the dangers of chocolate in dogs
Here are some resolutions to consider for your pets
Horace the Labrador has eaten stones find out about other dangers